[at-l] Umbrellas - OT

> Since I made the mistake of talking of Bill Bryson and posting to
> the purism subject, I thought if I put off topic and asked the
> question maybe the purists might not want to kill me. Has anyone
> used an umbrella and what were the pros and cons?

An umbrella, like other gear, is just another option.  Sometimes the
conditions are right to carry one, and other times they aren't.  If you are
likely to encounter very heavy rain for any length of time - especially with
winds in excess of a few miles an hour, for instance then you are far better
off in rain gear than with an umbrella.

On the other hand, an umbrella can do more for you than just keep off the
rain.  I more often use mine in very hot and sunny weather.  Portable shade
is not to be dismissed lightly - and an umbrella fits the bill nicely.

My biggest dislike of umbrellas comes from the fact that they are, by their
nature, relatively fragile things.  If you break one, you are stuck carrying
something useless to the next trail head.

Shane