Re[2]: Re [at-l] Picking on Bill and other stuff at-l

"...But it was a mystery to me how anyone who'd been on the trail could write an
entire book with no mention of trail names." reminds Leslie B.

 That's my point exactly. He never really became part of the trail environment.
 He was bored to death of the whole effort and totally failed to interact with
 either the trail or the people on the trail.

  Bryson is a very skilled writer. I chuckled often while reading his "Walk in
  the Woods." Occasionally, I laughed loud enough to startle my wife. But what
  he wrote showed absolutely no knowledge of, or understanding of the trail.

  The few facts came from reading, not hiking. He muttered a few half truths
  about the Forest Service and the National Parks, provided a routine travelogue
  of underground fires in Pennsylvania, and had a great time making an oaf of
  his buddy.

  I could have a great time hiking with Katz. I have no desire to hike with Bill
  Bryson. And yes, he failed to show up at the Gathering, after promising he
  would, even though it was held in the town where he lives.

  Weary