[at-l] NEW (at least to me) topic: edible plants

At 07:57 PM 3/26/02 -0500, you wrote:

>Question for the gang -
>
>Anybody want to give an on-list class in what's edible out there in the
>Appalachians

Lots of this stuff is only found in the open...balds and around old homesteads
in grassy areas.
AND....this is risky business.  I could be wrong.  You could be wrong
Proceed at your own risk knowing risk of death awaits.
And much of it needs more fussin' than is practice on trail

Dandelion has invaded, I'm sure.
Every one knows that one.
Leaves are sorta bitter, the younger the better.
I will be gathering dandelion for Easter dinner on Saturday.

Ramps are legend..wild leeks, slight garlicy <g>..you'll smell them before
you see
them,  Same for the hikers that eat them <g>

Nettles....believe it or not.  The top leaves..COOK EM first.

Cattail...the pollen is high in protein,  the young shoots are
ok raw but how do you clean the yucky things that grow in'
the water where they live?  Cookem.  Best way to make sure
you have cattails is to look for last years stuff laying around.
You can cook the roots but they are tough.  More a matter
of chewing them than eating them cause the skin is too tuff
and bad for the tummy tract.  I guess ya could peel them.
You can roast the tops but I've eaten them and wouldn't
bother.........

Fiddlehead ferns when they first appear but there are poisonous ferns as well.

Burdock roots are goooooood but don't do that cause ya kill the plants.

Chickory petals but don't eat the centers if you have asthma or allergies.
In fact don't eat whole flower of any kind if you have breathing or allergy
problems.  EVEN the CATTAILs The rest is OK and the roots are cooked
for coffee like drink.

Plantain...eat the young stuff

Purselane,,,in July&Aug

Sorrel is sour

Radishes grow wild

Don't mess with stuff that looks like wild Parsley...I forget why
but don't do it.

Arrow root likes water and bogs.  Treat the roots like taters...boil em.
Again..it kills the plant

Pokeweed MUST BE Boiled for one minute

Chickweed is used to remove warts <g> and is edible but don't
mess with it cause it has a close cousin that is nasty.

Asparagus...not sure if this is a true wild or an escapee but I read
a journalist who found some near an old homestead.  Don't
eat it raw..diareaha risk.  Don't eat the berries either...nasty..
just the young shoots/spears

Bulbs
Jack in the Pulpit BUT DO NOT EAT IT RAW.  It has something it
it that tears up your kidneys. Must be baked long and slow.

Daylilies...same deal with the Jacks although  I THINK the
flowers are OK. may be some problems with some subspecies..
I forget for sure

Garlic and onions

NEVER EAT
Anything that grows with three leaves in a bunch
unless ya'll are trying to get "immune to poison Ivy"
That was a joke.
Anythiny with prickes, thorns or hairs Cept roses and nettles
Anything with seeds in a pod like lima beans grow.
Anything with white berries ...too risky
there are a few plants that you can eat in the above
but very few and the rest of the class is nasty.

BERRIES
Bleauxberries
Blackberries
Elderberries
Strawberries but don't expect the huge things you see in stores.
They bread them for size and lost the true flavor of strawberries.

Nuts
Walnuts black and regular
Chestnuts but they are RARE if even found since the blight
hickory nuts/also know as beech
acorns but they need more processing that is practical on the trail
DO NOT EAT RAW ACORNS...

The lady that "owned" the water we fetched at the cabin was a witch or an
herbalist
or maybe just plain weird.  I've always wished she'd lived long enough for me
to get old enough for her to tolerate talking to me and passing on more of
what she knew.