[at-l] 2000-miler What the ATC actually requires

"...Notice it says blue blazed trails count??  I didn't know that...woohoo.
Notice it says slackpacking counts?  I didn't know that...woohoo. Notice it says
you don't have to pass every white blaze?"

  Sorry Kahley. There's never been a serious question about slackpacking
  counting. But if you read the guidelines carefully blue blazes are acceptable
  only if they are taken because extreme weather conditions cause special
  danger. Same with missing white blazes.

   "ATC assumes that those who apply have made an honest effort to walk the
entire Trail, even if they did not actually walk past every  white blaze."

Every one needs to ask themselves if bypassing 20 white blazes in order to hike
to the bottom of Dunn Notch Falls, but not making the effort to walk back up the
steep hillside is an "honest effort" -- especially since most will have walked
2000 miles by that time and be in the best shape of their lives.

A wise ATC would make the trail to the bottom of the falls the official trail
and force the blue blazers to take the easy route -- not vice versa. However,
ATC is the only group we have that works consistently for the trail. We can try
to change it. But we can't ignore it.

Weary