Re [at-l] Picking on Bill and other stuff at-l

My understanding is that he is quite real and did in fact accompany
Bryson on the trail.

-----Original Message-----
From: Slyatpct@aol.com [mailto:Slyatpct@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 11:45 PM
To: dennis@bcontech.com; at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re: Re [at-l] Picking on Bill and other stuff at-l

Was Katz a real person?  I think I heard some place he wasn't and Bryson
made him up.  An alter ego?  Certainly the idea of people tossing half
there gear into the woods in Georgia isn't new, but who on earth is
stupid enough to do so?

Sly

Would Bryson have brought Katz along if he didn't need him as a
character in the book?  Only he knows.  Is there reasonable doubt that
he would bring Katz along if he were going to hike some of the AT and
not write a book?  There is in my mind.  Someone that doesn't have
experience setting out to do something foreign to them might just want a

friend along, experienced or not.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---