[at-l] Lets talk about something else. Hozbout: Preparing meals for a hike

I got a message from a newer member who did not want to take up the list
time.  So, I answered off list, in conformance to netiquette.

However, I'd like others to add their wisdom and opinions.

So, I kick it off.  Please join in.

I tend to dehydrate the ingredients and mix in the woods -- rather than
dehydrate made dishes.  Where things are readily available in dried form, I
buy them that way, unless I can save major $ drying them myself -- such as
tomatoes from my garden, apples from my tree, etc.

For dairy products I stick with store bought items -- hard chesses, dried
whole milk, cheese powder, etc.  BTW -- I often use dried cheese soup
packages as a source of chesses -- as it is often cheaper than the powder.

Check out: http://ww3.kingarthurflour.com/, http://waltonfeed.com/,
http://www.dixiediner.com/, www.healthy-eating.com

Depending on how you cook in the woods beans take different approaches.
Store bought Lentils & Split Peas will cook in my pot cozy in 30 minutes.
Black beans are doable, but I treat then the same as other larger beans --
i.e., I cook the done, but still firm then dehydrate them.  Nearly any bean
will work this way.  [BTW -- Thanks for the advice Chase.]

Any rice that cooks in 30 minute on the stove will cook in my pot cozy.
However, I tend to use 10 minute cooking rice for ease and quickness.

For the most part dehydrator are a major YMMV item.  If you are just doing a
little dehydrating, have the time to baby-sit it, a cheap one works.  There
are a number of folk on the list that are very happy with the bottom of the
line models.  However, they often require rotating the trays, removing part
of the batch that has dry (before it gets browned out) while wait for the
rest of the batch to dry, etc.  Also, they have lower capacity.

Mine has 10 square feet of drying space, an adjustable thermostat (95*-155*)
and a timer (up to 48 hours).  I like to be able to set it and go to bed, go
about my business, etc.

Chainsaw