[at-l] digital camera vs. film

------ Original message ------
>Steve Vickers SVICKERS@proplayerstadium.com=20
>Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:56:19 -0500=20

Steve

I went through this same question and decided to go Digital.  Before =
commenting on your points let me say that the choice depends a lot of =
what you intend to do with your pictures.

For myself (YMMV) now-a-days almost all my showing off to friends (and =
self) is via the web and email.  That never used to be the case.  I have =
tons of old albums, boxes of slides, boxes of prints, negatives, etc. =
which - If I were lucky - were viewed by only a few folks and only once =
or twice.  Now dozens of friends and hundreds of strangers can and have =
looked at some of these "family pictures" via the web or email.  I even =
had a web page that was #2 on Google if you typed in the subject (It's =
disappeared along with the ISP - but the pictures are safe with me).

This affects the required resolution.  Seldom do you need more =
resolution than about 512x780 pixels for computer viewing.  I usually =
shoot digital at 4 times this resolution and then crop, resize etc. at =
home before putting them on line.  This levels the playing field - for =
me at least.  I just use Microsoft Photo Editor which comes free with =
windows and does what I need to do.  I'm not talking sophisticated here!

>Pros:
>1. No film to worry about (purchasing/developing).

Big point.  I've already taken enough pictures with my digital camera to =
pay for it in film and developing costs.

>2. If I snap a photo, and don't like it I can simply delete it right =
away.

True: I usually keep about 30% - 50%. I decide when I get home.  This =
may simply indicate I'm a bad photographer, but moreso it's because now =
I can afford to take many more shots before running out of film (or =
money to developed it).  It's not unusual for me to come back from a day =
with 50 shots in the camera.  I have an extra cartridge, but since one =
(64Mb) holds about 100 shots I've never needed to use it in the field.

>3. Ease of transferring to computer for WebPages, emails, etc.

Very true.  It's been mentioned that with home scanners readily avilable =
it doesn't matter whether you start out on film or digital.  Unless you =
have lots of $$$, I disagree.  My camera costs about $350.  My scanner =
is part of a multifunction printer/fax/scanner which costs about the =
same.  This is my budget.  With this quality scanner, you just can't cut =
it.  The following two shots show this:

This shot was taken by my digital camera last week.  The resolution =
shown is 1/4 of what was originally taken:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/pictures/HH_Me.jpg

This shot was scanned in by me also last week from a high quality 8x10 =
print taken by a professional photographer at a marathon I ran last =
fall.  Note the ziggy-zags around my shoulders and at other places.

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/pictures/Dub_Rgatmile5.jpg

This reflects the scanner quality.  The original print was "perfect".  =
Excuse the quality of the subject as I am not a professional model =
<grin>.

>Cons:
>1. Need to recharge the battery

I take one extra.  Weighs may 1/4 oz.  Recharge in town.  Charger in =
bounce box. Take more extras if you have the $$ and are paranoid.  Mine =
are rechargeable which I like because all the cost is up front.  No =
recurring film or battery costs. In fact no recurring costs of any type.

>2. Memory cards (I will most likely use a 256MB card)  If this gets =
damaged,
>there goes the whole       trip's photos. =20

Same thing could happen to film, no?  I would bet if the whole pack fell =
in the river, the cartridge would survive better than the film.  (Sound =
like a good experiment to do - NOT!)  I have 2 smaller cartridges, you =
may want to consider doing that.  256Mb would hold a LOT of pictures.

>3. More likely to break (?)

Mine seems as robust as any film camera I've owned IN THIS PRICE RANGE.

<cut>
>Thanks,
>Vic

One other thing:=20

Weight. my camera (Nikon Coolpix 775), two batteries and two cartridges =
weighs about 8oz. total.

Good luck in whichever you decide to go with.

Pb

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---