[at-l] Long Trail in September & October

>>southbound from Canada to
>>Killington this fall, and am looking for advice
>>about weather
>>conditions.  For various scheduling reasons, the
>>best time for me to go
>>is from September 21 through October 6.

Expect cool, pleasant hiking days, colder temps (high
teens to high 20's) at night, and of course great Fall
foliage!

You may get a freak snowstorm in the higher peaks
(Mansfield, Camel's Hump), but overall it should be
great hiking weather. If you enjoy fall hiking, you
are in for a treat.

Take your standard three season gear (20F bag, fleece
jacket, hat, mittens, long underwear, etc.) and you
will do OK. One of the pictures I just posted in the
backcountry gallert has WhiteFace Mtn (VT) shown on
Columbus Day Weekend:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/MagsNE/aaq

One of these days, I am going to do a 'leaf peeping'
hike of the LT...

=====