[at-l] Long Trail in September & October

I'm thinking of hiking the Long Trail southbound from Canada to
Killington this fall, and am looking for advice about weather
conditions.  For various scheduling reasons, the best time for me to go
is from September 21 through October 6.

I've done some winter backpacking, but I'm not looking for that sort of
trip.

What kind of weather do I need to be prepared for, and what kind should
I expect?

Would leaving a week earlier make a significant difference?

Thanks.

-- Jim