[at-l] LNT is wrong IMHO

At 03:10 PM 3/25/02 -0500, Clifford R. Haynes wrote:
>With regard to mud holes, real LNT would be not to hike in the rain or when
>it's muddy. But LNT isn't that high a priority.

It is to me!!!!!!  and since I maintain, so is not making a bad situation
worse.  But I can see the difference between me carefully picking'
my way around a blowdown or a puddle and thousands charging
through the bush .  So maybe the right thing to do would be to put
in a stepping stone or two?  Oooooops...that is actually how I started
my very first flame war here.  I wanted to put in a couple stepping
stones at a stream crossing because people were tearing up the
stream bed and shore as they tried to leap it. Yikes.....

But...I think the plowing through puddles is the hardest LNT practice
to promote.  I just don't think most people do it.  So why isn't it a better
idea of promoting the_careful _bushwack, which people might actually
do, rather than tell them to plow through which they don't, preferring
to "skirt" and make the problem bigger?