Fwd: [at-l] has the AT become too easy??

rick boudrie wrote:
>Sure the Trail is easier.  Its like with that experiment about the rats
>thrown in the tub of water in Psych 101.  The ones that were given hope of
>getting out (by being provided with a prior experience of an escape ladder
>of sorts) treaded water for a long time.   The ones that didn't have that
>experience drowned much faster.

rick -
You've made some good points lately - but I don't agree with this one. If
the Trail is easier, how come Earl Shaffer and Tom Horn and Warren Doyle
don't notice it?

>With all the examples of old (or otherwise challengesd) guys like Weary
>hiking the trail, one has got to think its really doable. Even if you stub
>your toe.  So the suposedly strongest hikers will tend to tred water longer
>and somehow get to Katahdin.  Right?

By that logic, the more experienced (first-time) hikers would have a greater
probability of finishing - and I don't think there's any evidence to that
effect.  In fact, from what I've seen, heard and experienced, the opposite
is true.

A question - if it were true, then how did Maine Rose make it?

As for Weary - from what he's said, he didn't go out to do a thruhike -- and
he didn't. He did what he wanted to do - but it wasn't a thruhike and the
logic doesn't apply here.  In this case, I like the Maine Rose example
better - it applies.

One thing to keep in mind - once you "have" done it - you know you "can do
it".  Some percentage of those on the Trail have already done it at least
once (used to be about 5% but I think that's increased).  Those who did it
"last year" and come back, generally (although not always) come back to
"play" - and don't finish.  Those who wait 2 years or more to do it a second
(or more) time - nearly always finish.  So saying that its become easier
because "more people are finishing" ignores the fuzzy logic factor injected
by the multiple offenders.  The question in this case should be - how many
"first-timers" finish?

One more point - Weary was 62 when he was on the Trail, and I have no doubt
that he could thruhike this year if he wanted to.  Two of my "Trail family"
turned 60 and another was 73 when we were on the AT. I turned 60 on the CDT
and 61 on the PCT --- and I'm planning on going back to both of them (and
the AT) again.  Earl did the AT when he was 79 - and there'll be an 80-year
old on the CDT this year.  That "OLD" part?  You might want to re-think
that.  Doesn't have anything at all to do with age - just attitude.

>Beside that, even if its not easier now it sure is cushier than it used to
>be.  Hotels.  Movies.  Trips to NY or Gatlinberg. Conjugal visits.
>Slackpacking.  Resupply ever few days.  6 Months not 4 or 5.  Decent town
>guidebooks. More Hostels (Yes).  Families and friends that have heard of
>the AT or even read Bryson's book.

Uh - Rick?  Specifically --- until you get to the town guidebooks, each and
every one of those things has been available for the last 50 years -
including the trips to NYC and Gatlinburg.  And the "town" guidebooks are a
nicety - but not a necessity.

Are the "trail" guidebooks better?  Questionable - the projected changes in
the guidebooks (elimination of detail), combined with the latest "theory of
blazing" (less blazes) isn't gonna make the Trail easier at all.  I saw the
results of that "minimal blazing" yesterday - it's fine "now" -- as in
yesterday and today.  But in 2 months it'll be insufficient in some places
unless the maintainer is out there at least once a month during spring/early
summer.  In point of fact, we lost the trail several times over the 10 miles
we walked even though there's little undergrowth at this time of year on
that ridge.

More hostels?  Go count 'em Rick. Then pick up a 10 year old Thruhikers
Guide and count 'em again.  But note the distribution and type of ownership
as well. Having 3 or 4 hostels open in Andover doesn't count as having 3 or
4 more hostels open in Maine - or on the Trail.  It may give you more choice
in Andover or Erwin, but those hostels don't replace the ones that are
closed other places (like Manchester Center).

While we were walking yesterday, Ginny and I counted hostels - and a lot of
them have disappeared.  There are more hostels in some places - how many in
Andover now?  Or in Erwin?  Or Monson?  But some of those in other places
have disappeared and the distribution is less desirable.  In particular, the
"free" hostels are rapidly closing down - Manchester Center, Greenpoint, Hot
Springs, Graymoor --- and what's replacing them are semi-commercial hostels
like Uncle Johny's.

How long will DWG remain open?  They were talking about closing 5 or 6 years
ago - and the increasingly irresponsible thruhiker behavior edges them
closer to it every year.

Finally - the family and friends don't hike the Trail - you do. Knowing
about it might make "them" less nervous - but that still doesn't make "your"
hike any easier.

What has changed on the Trail is the general attitude toward town stops. And
the party crowd - and the tendency toward "pack" behavior. None of which I
have any sympathy for or attraction to.

Walk softly,
Jim