[at-l] Therma-Rest pads, What do you like or Hate?

jtwilkins@comcast.net wrote:

> I'm picking my therma-rest for my hike and I'm getting dizzy over which one
> to take. My main question is 3/4 or not. I'm tall but I really don't think I
> will mind having no pad under my legs. But I want to see what other think
> about which therma-rest and if you didn't mind the 3/4 or hated the sleeping
> with nothing under your legs.

I use a 3/4 but I'm 5'4" and tend to sleep scrunched up.  So all of me
is generally on the pad.  Whenever I do stretch out briefly, my feet get
cold and/or are uncomfortable on a hard surface.  But I often stick my
pack or the like down at the foot end and put my feet on it if I desire.

If I were tall, I might go for the longer pad.

I slept on blue foam for years before I discovered Thermarest.  Then I
slept on an ultralite 3/4 for years.  Now I use a guidelite 3/4.  My
evil cat destroyed the ultralite, and when I went to get a new pad I
found that the guidelite was ever so much more comfortable.

In winter the Thermarest isn't quite enough insulation for me.  I
started carrying a blue foam pad to layer.. but then I got a dog, and
I'm a big sucker, so she gets the blue foam pad and I stay a little
chilly.  I refuse to carry three pads.  Perhaps I'll wise up and tuck
one end of her pad under the torso of my Thermarest.

Last trip I was sleeping in my hammock and ended up with my fannypack
under my knees.  Extremely comfy if you're on your back.  I recommend it.

-amy