[at-l] mental preparation

Every time you feel like quitting... tell your self that you need to go for
21 more days and reassess your condition and reflect on what has changed.
Then if you still feel like quitting, tell your self that you need to go
for 21 more days and reassess your condition and reflect on what has
changed.  Then if you still feel like quitting, tell your self that you
need to go for 21 more days and reassess your condition and reflect on what
has changed.  Then if you still feel like quitting...

Don't allow options which are counterproductive to your plan.  Or said
another way, any time your plan is questioned (by yourself) have a
predefined answer that you automatically say.  For me it is similar
(although from a much smaller scale) to hitting the snooze alarm in the
morning.  If I go to bed saying (to myself) "I'll see how I feel in the
morning" then I'll "hit snooze" every time.  If I go to bed saying "I'm
getting up as soon as I hear that alarm", then "snooze" isn't an option and
I get up right away without thinking about it.

Should I take two days off instead of one?  "No!"  Should I quit before I
reach my goal?  "No!"  Should I... "No!"

-James T.

AHuthmaker@aol.com@mailman.backcountry.net on 03/25/2002 09:38:32 AM

Sent by:    at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net

Good morning to you all!
    It seems that everything I read about long distance hiking talks about
mental preparation being the single most important aspect of pre-hike
planning.  Many of the AT books say that this is the one thing that can
make
or break a thru hike attempt.
    So, here is my question.  What can one do to mentally prepare for a
long
hike?  I know that for myself, visualization of the hike has increased my
perception (and fears!), and that I am coming closer and closer to
understanding the challenges of such an undertaking, but I feel like there
is
more I can be doing!   What do ya'll do when preparing for one of your long
jaunts?  Inquiring minds want to know!! :)  Anna (Mud Butt)