[at-l] Hello

First, welcome to the group. A LOT of messages here,
but hopefully you will find what you need...

>>ON a different note, I am planning on thru-hiking
the a.t. next
>>year and was wondering how much you think this
endevour
>>will cost.  I am terrible at saving money, but I am
working hard to

Depends on what you want to do for a  hike. Hostels
all the time? Hotel/BnB all the time? Or something in
between? (As with most hikers)

A "typical" thru-hike cost about $3000 (not counting
gear). On this budget, you can have a moderate amount
of time in town, splurge a bit on some AYCE buffets,
stay mainly in hostels , have a beer once in a while
and split the occasional hotel room with a fellow
hiker or two.

As you can tell from the emphasis in my post, I think
the key to not spending too much money is to limit
your stays in town. Taking thee or four days off at a
time can really put a ding in your hiking budget.
This theoretical budget allows for the needed things
(food, replacement gear, calls to home, etc.)

You may also want to save up some money for AFTER the
hike. Being able to return to work at your leisure,
rather than having to find a job right away to pay
bills, can be a great way to ease your way back,. For
example, I plan on finishing the PCT roughly in mid
September, but do not plan on working again until th
eend of October. A nice 4-6 week interval before the
real world creeps in again. Great way to transition
from trail life to the working world.

YMMV

Mags

=====