[at-l] Re: mail drops or buy along the way

Paul, Consider doing both. During my thru I brought most of my food
along thr way. I decided that if I wanted to change, what I was going to
eat, I would be able to do that. I was glad that I took that approach. I
saw many hiker boxes full of food that hikers had mail dropped and
didn't want any more, or decided on not carrying out onto the trail. I
think it's very hard to forsee what you are going to want to eat 2 or 3
months after you start. It's the old "supply and demand" thing. When you
have a demand, for food, you go into town and supply. You than have the
ability to buy fresh stuff for the next section of trail. While planning
my hike I looked at the Data Book and decided when I would get off the
trail, go to town, resupply, check E-mail, do laundry, get a bed and eat
a couple of resturant meals. I planned the first two months. It worked
out fine. After the first two months I would just plan ahead to the next
town stop, 4 to 6 days away. When I had equipment drops I would also
request special stuff from home. My advise is to stay flexiablle. Try
not to get tied into a set schedule,i.e. "I have to be in town on Sat to
make the P.O.".