[at-l] Hiking Poles

Hiking staffs have been part of the "wilderness" for millennia. Only recently,
however, have these comforts required investments of $85 or $130 or whatever
dollars. My staff weighs exactly what most Lekis weigh, 10.5 ounces, and cost
nothing.

 Most of the successful thru hikers in the history of the Appalachian Trail
 managed with staffs that cost nothing -- or the hikers chose to forego such
 comforts entirely.

 Lekis and other expensive staffs certainly make it easier to hike fast -- and
 if that is your goal -- to get this wonderful experience over with as quickly
 as possible -- then I would urge you to buy $85 or $130 staffs.

 But for those with other goals, let me suggest that they should search for a
 pair of hard wood saplings -- no more than an inch in diameter. Serepticiously
 cut down these saplings. Any wood will do. Alder, oak, maple, birch. Attach a
 couple of soft rubber crutch tips to the bottoms. This may require some
 judicious carving  to make the crutch tip fit.

Carve an impromptu handle at the top, and maybe an AT symbol. Initially, your
home made staff will weigh about a pound. But leave it in the sun for a few days
and the weight will shrink. Many will urge you to varnish your wooden staff.
Don't. Varnish and other coatings simply add weight, slow drying and if the
coating locks in moisture, encourages decay.

A proper home made staff will have a bit of flex in the middle, and unless you
are marching through dried leaves is virtually noiseless.

 Weary