[at-l] Request for Info on Pay Phone and Cellphones

In a message dated 03/25/02 8:47:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
nealb@midlandstech.com writes:

> Connectability is the big question.  What's the use of carrying
> a cellphone if the only place you can connect is in a town?  Or if the
> signal is as scratchy as old time wool.  So I would like to find out how
> connectable cell phones are along the trail.  Is the signal scratchy?
> Fair?
> Good?  Excellent?  If so, where?  Were there dead spots?  And if so, for
> how
> long a distance?  So if you use a pay-phone while on the trail, let me know
> how connectable it was and any problems you had.

A trimode cell phone (don't know about others) will work on Springer,
Sassafras, Blue, Rocky Mount, Tray and Kelly Knob in Georgia and Standing
Indian and Wayah Bald in North Carolina.  It will work in Erwin, TN.  It will
work at Spivey Gap, TN.  It will also work in some gaps but not all.  It will
work on Mount Rogers.  It will work throughout MD.  It will work in PA at
Pine Grove Furnace.  It will work from Lehigh Furnace Gap to Palmerton.  It
will work in Franconia Notch and on Mount Washington in NH.  Signal is clear
(signal strength is not an issue anymore because of the new towers that have
been installed).

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html