  From: L. Parker
  To: 'Rami' ; at-l@backcountry.net
  Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2002 11:03 AM
  Subject: RE: [at-l] OMG- (pack weight)

  Having done this with Killian and Tynan (Trooper) before, I can sympathize.
  You actually seem to have done very well. The one thing I learned and you
  seem to have figured it out already, is that the 25 percent rule does not
  apply to small children. Jade will not be able to carry 10 pounds. Somewhere
  around sixty pounds the rule starts to work. My eleven year old can actually
  comfortably carry a little more than his 25 percent, which is good since I
  had to transfer five pounds out of the eight year old's pack and
  redistribute it between mine and Killian's.

  The other thing to be conscious of is pack size. Even though you have the
  weight under five pounds, unless it is fairly compact, they are going to
  have a real tough time with it. Since you say Jade is carrying only her own
  water and snacks, I am assuming this is a small daypack and not an issue
  either.

  Have you done this before?

  Lee I Joe