[at-l] mental preparation

Good morning to you all!
    It seems that everything I read about long distance hiking talks about
mental preparation being the single most important aspect of pre-hike
planning.  Many of the AT books say that this is the one thing that can make
or break a thru hike attempt.
    So, here is my question.  What can one do to mentally prepare for a long
hike?  I know that for myself, visualization of the hike has increased my
perception (and fears!), and that I am coming closer and closer to
understanding the challenges of such an undertaking, but I feel like there is
more I can be doing!   What do ya'll do when preparing for one of your long
jaunts?  Inquiring minds want to know!! :)  Anna (Mud Butt)