[at-l] slackpacking revisited

1.  true, but same is true of many sections of the Trail, such as in
GSMNP, SNP, the Whites, etc.  Also, those who do lots of food drops are
also tied down right tight, too.  Thus, the bit about HYOH comes back in
to play here. :)

2.  I did some "day-hiking" during my hike last summer; I think I walked
slower - usually didn't have a huge distance set out . . . did have one
"day-hike" day that I wanted to try and run most of it, just to see if I
could . . . did that near Damascus.

3.  Ironically, I never found day-hiking to be any easier - was in shape
and used to my very comfortable [but heavy] DANA pack - in fact,
borrowed a daypack several times for day hikes and actually had less
comfort!

4.  General public's perception is that anyone who hikes more than 5-10
miles in a day is nuts! :)

To me, the biggest drawback of day=hiking was that - being the boy scout
I am - I always felt a bit unprepared for helping others . . . less
equipment; less preparedness . . . but, I enjoyed all my walking so much
that the fact that some days were with a daypack and most were with my
full pack just didn't factor in that much for me . . .

thru-thinker