[at-l] Re: has the AT become too easy??

There is a tendency for the "old school" in any field to think that the
"new school" has it easy... How often do you hear someone say "Whoa,
kids these days have it so much tougher than when I was a kid!"? Never.

Walking 2000+ miles was tough in the past. It is tough now. And it will
be tough in the future. Hostels, trail magic, switchbacks, access to
advice, guidebooks, and every other form of help aren't going change the
big picture much. The big picture is that you still have to walk 2000+
miles thru mostly mountainous terrain.

If any of y'all meet me in 50 years and I'm complaining about how the
class of 2057 has it too easy... please shoot me. I will have lost my
grip on reality. The class of 2057 will have their challenges just like
the class of 2002 (and 1948, and every other year).

-Mark Rebuck, GAME2001 http://www.markrebuck.com/ fromatl@markrebuck.com

P.S:  One exception: Acccess to slackpacking makes things easier :-). If
      I ever thruhike again, I won't be so foolish as to reject
      slackpacking like I did for 3/4 of last year's thruhike.