[at-l] Questions For MacKaye

In a message dated 3/24/2002 12:38:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cdc43@juno.com writes:

> Although I will admit that it would be interesting to ask Benton Mackaye
> just what our every action should be re: the AT, we cannot, and should
> not, be so constrained by what someone wished for 75 years ago; noble
> though that desire might have been. I may be in the minority by saying
> that the site if a distant fire tower doesn't really get me upset. A
> road crossing can sometimes be reassuring as to distance traveled. To
> many hikers the site of a saw mill, or some such rural industry, is a
> travesty upon the world. We should try to be objective and realize that
> to us it is a momentary blight upon our tranquil walk but to someone it
> is a means of supporting a family. It's all part of "the trip". If one
> feels they must have an absolutely pure rustic adventure I would suggest
> walking in big circles somewhere like the Nantahala's. In the traverse
> of 13 states a person should expect to experience more than rocks and
> roots. (not that there is anything wrong with that!)

     ***   Well, that is one possibility. Bryson spoke about wanting more
farm valley walks to experience rural culture and break up the green tunnel.
Like you say, there are places where a city boy is given a golden opportunity
to experience the country life first hand by walking by a working farm. Some
of our country AT-L members may take for granted that some hikers originating
from urban areas might never have seen a cow on a pasture up close and
smelled the hay and manure. Just being able to spend a day at a farm is a
treat for somebody who has never seen people who make their living directly
from the earth. That is definitely part of the AT experience! There are
places on the AT that will invariably remain that way because of their
location.

      What doesn't hold is the feeling given by many that MacKaye's plan is
outdated and therefore irrelevant. If anything the reasons for his
outdatedness prove his relevancy more than anything. The only reason he would
be outdated was because the very things he planned to counter had progressed
too far to be resolved. His wilderness camps plan is less relevant only
because the forces he was fighting have managed to squeeze out the available
lands and make them too expensive. As illustrated here, much of the needed
backing has also dried up due to many social and cultural factors -the main
ones being apathy and cynicism. Your same logic would be reason to ignore the
US constitution or even christianity as being too old to be relevant.

      If you look at the Trail today, you'll see that encroachment is
creeping up on all sides of the AT. The ATC is a little wiser and understands
their obligation to the Trail's original purpose. They view the Trail on a
greater timescale with a greater objective. Areas you now think of as remote
will be much less so in the future. Soon *anyplace* that manages to preserve
an unbroken corridor of eastern wilds will be very rare. Those who are able
to go in and experience them will be experiencing something very special and
not easily had other places. This is the prime objective of the AT both as
conceived by MacKaye and as it is still pursued by ATC. By reading some of
the responses here on AT-L, I'm not sure that all Trail users understand just
what exactly the AT is...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---