[at-l] Why I'd like to meet Rocksnroots

Although I will admit that it would be interesting to ask Benton Mackaye
just what our every action should be re: the AT, we cannot, and should
not, be so constained by what some one wished for 75 years ago; noble
though that desire might have been. I may be in the minority by saying
that the site if a distant fire tower doesn't really get me upset. A
road crossing can sometimes be reassuring as to distance traveled. To
many hikers the site of a saw mill, or some such rural industry, is a
travesty upon the world. We should try to be objective and realize that
to us it is a momentary blight upon our tranquil walk but to someone it
is a means of supporting a family. It's all part of "the trip". If one
feels they must have an absolutely pure rustic adventure I would suggest
walking in big circles somewhere like the Nantahala's. In the traverse
of 13 states a person should expect to experience more than rocks and
roots. (not that there is anything wrong with that!)