[at-l] 2000 Plus Or Minus

     When I did it in 1985-86 most of the people who I hiked with blue or
yellow blazed simply because it was easier. It might sound good to hindsight
philosophize about how blue-blazes can be better trails or give a better
Appalachian experience, but the people I was standing next to when I was
hiking the Trail, and heard them discuss why they were taking the blue-blaze,
did it because it was less difficult and the easier/shorter way. Just the way
it was...

      The trick in recent times is to act like you are so open-minded and
above such petty distinctions that you don't get hung up about it and
small-minded people do. What noble souls! Fact is people used to take the
Trail as a serious achievement and respected it enough to honor it by doing
it pure. That was the harder way and used to register that way and was
respected that way because of it. Today you are sort of taken as a square or
goof for taking that seriously. If you shut up and stay quietly to the side
you'll be acceptable to the community who simply want to avoid the issue.
Well I'm not afraid to say it just because some don't like hearing it...

   The blue blazing issue is weird because it isn't necessarily a lesser
hike. If you think about it, a through-hiker who really plans out a wide
ranging blue-blaze alternative hike can actually end up doing a harder,
longer hike that involves more Appalachia, socializing, or "AT experience" so
to speak. The question then rises if this hiker should be told he didn't
legitimately complete the AT. Technically he didn't, but technically he makes
a case for not doing so. Also, some people who use blue-blazes are taking the
old AT that other hikers got credit for. These hikers would technically not
qualify for 2000 miler status after having hiked the exact same trail that
awarded 2000 milers did. There's obviously a case here for ATC widening its
definition of what constitutes a through-hike. This would lead to the
possibility of new, extensive blue-blaze loops enhancing the AT and lessening
traffic...

    What I'm getting at is let's be open minded, but let's not put down those
who still appreciate what purism means and who hold that as important
according to the old school. Apparently ATC still holds that as important in
their diploma requirements. An AT through-hike or 2000 miler completion is a
significant accomplishment. Some see that as a source of pride and value a
diploma. Those who don't wish recognition are fine, but I tend to think that
those who do it by the letter are also those who look into the Trail more
deeply and perhaps inquire into its calling further. These personalities have
proven of value to the Trail (beyond just through-hiking) before.

    I still believe white-blazing is a harder hike and involves tougher
choices. I would even contend that the opposite end of the spectrum tends to
accumulate around some of the worst Trail problems that have developed in
recent times. Hikers doing the 'party' style tend to run out of money sooner
or drift away from the task of heading on up the Trail. So, if a contentious
Trail figure wants to consolidate the old school into an Avery society, I see
no harm in it. Perhaps some might look back and thank him for encouraging
them to make it and pushing them where they would have failed without it. To
me, to join in a call to heckle and discourage such an endeavor would
constitute the equal opposite extreme of campfire monitors and be just as
restricting and closed minded.

     I don't see anything wrong with doing it pure and encouraging others to
do so...

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---