[at-l] Trail Days transportation advice?

I've just been looking at maps and train and bus websites, trying
to figure out how to get from the AT to Trail Days.  We're starting
hiking May 3, and I figure we have two full weeks on the trail
before the event, so we'll be somewhere between Bryson City and
Franklin unless we for some reason start hiking fast. :)  Do you have
any advice on what towns might be likely candidates to have bus or train
service?

The websites list them by name, but since I don't know the names
of towns in that area it doesn't help much..  The maps have not
so far been incredibly helpful.

Damascus doesn't look to be a destination of public transport,
either.  We could hop ahead to town closer in and walk to Damascus
if that would be easier.

Suggestions, please?  This search is making me feel dense.

-amy