[at-l] OT: Ground Zero

Hey there Kinnickinic,

So you want to head to ground zero.  Well all I can say is be prepared.  The
sadness can be overwhelming.  I live outside of Manhattan, out on Long
Island, and it took quite a bit to want to head back to ground zero,
especially after spending some time just outside directly after the
incident.  But it was necessary, and really helped.  The biggest thing to
prepare for though, is the reality of it all.  It might be hard to
understand what is gone if you never have been to NY before.  The WTC was
huge, and so many people worked in them everyday, along with all those who
visited.  I sometimes could just make them out almost 50 miles away from the
south shore when coming up from Ocean Parkway.  The first thing I need to
know is where will you be staying in NY.  If near a subway, I might
recommend using that.  You can get there from Madison Square Garden - Penn
Station on the A,C, or E.  The E will take you right to the viewing
platform.  In order to go to the viewing platform you need to go to the
South Street Seaport to get tickets on the A or C.  Not exactly sure how I
feel about the platform or the tickets (not sure where the money is going, I
hope to the families or to the relief effort), but it's there.  I might
suggest looking for some of the nearby firehouses and and police stations
and giving them a visit.  These guys have been through allot.  Sometimes I
wish I could have been there with them.  If you are unsure of the mapping
here is some links.

The MTA
http://www.lirr.org/mta/maps.htm
Subway Map
http://www.lirr.org/nyct/maps/submap.htm
Downtown Map
http://www.lirr.org/nyct/maps/mapdown.pdf

If you need anything, give me a shout.  Oh, be sure to head down at night
also, or maybe head to Liberty Park in NJ to see the memorial lights.

Todd "M&M" Ricker
GA>ME AT99

ICQ: 24455973
AOL/AIM: MMATGA2ME99

To open soon ... www.trail-life.com  Home of the Long Distance Backpacker.
Discussion groups, articles, stories, trail info, and trail news.  Please
feel free to leave suggestions or comments.

www.ryangore.com   Some good ole finger flickin