[at-l] Best Blue Blazes

>As I understand it the ATC really doesn't give a rat's behind.  The
>insistence on "purity" comes from elsewhere.

On the ATC 2000 miler application, they have explicitly stated that you must
hike the official WHITE BLAZED trail in its entirety to qualify as a 2000
miler.  I think the form is on the ATC site as a PDF file.  Last year (or
perhaps the year before) they added the phrase "or made an honest attempt to
do so".  Personally I liked that addition as it accepts the fact that some
previously awarded 2000 milers (like Shaeffer) got lost for a bit along the
way.

Anyway thats what it says.  The ATC may not give a rat's behind but I sure
as hell wouldn't want a hiker to be surprised by the ATC application
requirements at Daicey pond!  To suggest the ATC does not have this
requirement is not being very kind to future thru-hikers in the least.
Would you fill out such a form, with its crystal clear wording, if you had
not passed all the blazes?  How would you feel if such a form took you by
complete surprise?

No matter what one's philsophy of hiking, I think that is something that
thru-hikers should know before they deviate from the AT.  If, with that
knowledge they still decide to deviate and fill out the application form (as
the vast majority now do no matter what thier hiking style) that is a burdon
that will weigh heavier on them than on me or the ATC.  I would think
anyway.

Rick B