[at-l] Best Blue Blazes

At 09:29 AM 3/23/02 -0500, rick boudrie wrote:
>I wonder if any listed "2000 Milers" on this list who did not pass all the
>white blazes would care to share how and why they decided to tell the ATC
>that they hiked the Trail "pure"?  I have missed that pespective entirely.

As I understand it the ATC really doesn't give a rat's behind.  The
insistence on "purity" comes from elsewhere.  They challenged Earl's claim
to a single season hike because they believed it was impossible.  After
requiring proof they found themselves in the "certification" business which
they abandoned in '73 or thereabouts.  The "certificate" was never for a
"thru" despite the fact that Earl's thru was what started it all and now
one needs only "fading memories" of having completed the trail be
listed.  So how is it 'impure' to say I walked from GA>ME or versa visa.

sAunTerer