[at-l] Best Blue Blazes

>Blue blazes aren't necessarily shorter, easier, more or less scenic.
> >They're different, which is what most people are that hike the >trails.
>Try not to feel like you're doing anything wrong if you don't >take the all
>white blazes, because you're not.

Makes sence to me, Sly.

What I can't figure out is why so many (thousands) of people have felt
compelled to fill out a formal application attesting to having passed all
the white blazes (yes, it refers to them), when they have not.

Hell, I take it one step further.  I can't even understand why so many
people who have actually hiked past all the blazes bother to inform the ATC.
  My excuse was the prodding of a proud stage father.

I wonder if any listed "2000 Milers" on this list who did not pass all the
white blazes would care to share how and why they decided to tell the ATC
that they hiked the Trail "pure"?  I have missed that pespective entirely.
Occasionally we hear from people who claim/are purists.  Occasionally we
hear from people who have hiked essentially all the Trail but did not
regsiter as 2000 milers. They are the smallest and most honorable group of
all, IMO.  But we never hear from the majority of today's thru-hikers who
fall in this first catagory. Never.  Not once.  I'll listen and pehaps I
learn something but I am not holding my breath.

BTW, if you think I should "hike my own hike", think again.  What I am
talking about has absolutely nothing to do with hiking.  It has to do with
filling out a form, after a hike.  So, if I am to be critisized, let it be
on the basis of "live your own life".  Blue blazing is fine by me.  All
hiking is good.  Except for the parts that suck, that is.

Rick B