[at-l] PLEASE READ..Angel Alert Netwok

This last week, two things got me thinking, again,
about an Idea that I thought about before.
John O's wet gear screwed up his plans to hike
into the ALDHA meeting, and while this wasn't
a life and death thing, because he could hike out
and not spend a 15 degree night in wet clothes and bag,
it was a problem since he is an officer in ALDHA
and really needed to be there.  Also, a hiking lister
received word this week that a family member had
taken ill and they really needed to get home ASAP.
In John's case, I posted to the list and got offers
from as far away as 2 hrs drive.  I also got an offer
from someone who lives maybe a half hour away.

The problem was in the time lag of e-mail.  By the
time the closer lister got the request and wrote me,
I was in bed and when I awoke and read the offer,
he was gone for the day. We need better communication.

So, I'm thinking.....there are a lot of us who live close
enough to the Trail and would be more than happy to
help a lister in need if we knew of the need.  Now, I'm
not talking about casual need.  I'm thinking of John O's
situation as a minimal level but more of the lister with
the problem at home.

soooo...if you are willing to trust me with your phone number,
and trust POG too cause she has agreed to be back up,
send me OFF LIST your number, and the section of trail
which you would be willing to cover.  If something happens,
I check a spread sheet, see who is in area and give you
a call.  I would not give your number to anyone without
asking first unless you tell me in advance that it's OK.
Basically, I read or get word that someone needs help and
call you to alert you to the situation.  You are under NO
obligation.

No one will know if I call you and you can't or don't want
to help that day so there are no hard feelings and no
guarantees that help is forthcoming.  Just basically
you are saying I MIGHT be able to help if conditions are
right.  This would not be a situation like someone is
just had it with hiking.  As far as I'm concerned, when
you hit the Trail, you take the responsibility of getting
back home again in your own hands.  But sh*t happens.
Maybe like Chase or Brian, you get all your gear lost by the
bus company and you can't hike...ya know dire situations <g>.
(Hey...if you plan all year for your next section hike and then
it get screwed up, that's DIRE IMHO. <VVVBG>

A prearranged shuttle might not show and you need to
get back to your car and work the next day. Or maybe you
blow out your knee and just barely make it to a phone.
Or as happened to a lister, there is trouble at home and
you need to move quickly. We're talking major screw up
type stuff that could be really expedited by a helping hand
and a ride to a town with a bus station or an airport.  This is
less of an issue down south since there is such hiker awareness
and support available, but here in Pa, people don't usually
pick up smelly people wearing backpacks.  You probably
have the number of some lister or friend, even though they are
states away, who could put it to the list or e-me and_maybe_
I can get the word to someone local to you, who could help.

OK...that's my pitch.  Basically, the same thing we have
been doing all along ...just a little speedier and reliable
by using a phone instead of email.

If you are interested, e-me with your phone numbers and
when I can call you and whether I can give your number
directly to the hiker or not.  Hopefully, this type of emergency
assistance will seldom be needed but it would be nice to
have a "system" in place if it is.

Please use the above subject line in your reply