[at-l] has the AT become too easy??

I've only been on the AT in the South and in parts of the Whites,
so take the following with that in mind.

One of the things that I like about the AT is that it is easy.
The easiness doesn't refer to the physical exertion of hiking, but
rather to the mental exertion required for shortish (i.e, a month
or less) trips. When I'm
out on the AT, I don't have to worry about things like glaciers,
cornices, or getting popper by rock or ice fall.  Or running into
Mr. Grizz.  Or fording milky, glacial fed, raging rivers.  Or
having to climb in big boots while wearing a big pack.  The AT
is comfortable for me.  Inviting, perhaps would be a better
word.  I can relax, let my guard down, and just hike along smelling
the trees.

When it comes down to it, I can set off on the AT with a minimum amount
of gear, travel through really pretty country, meet interesting
people, and have an all around fun outdoor experience.  And I can
do this without putting myself into any serious risk.  That is a
really nice change of pace and the prime reason why I like the AT.

Chris

Chris Willett
cwillett@math.uiuc.edu
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~cwillett