[at-l] South bound thru-hike?

"Doesn't look like my house is going to sell in time for a
Northbound thru-hike. I might consider Me>Ga, but just how bad are
those Black flys?"

 Southbounding this year? Cool! After all, the trail is 'Maine to Georgia'!
A black fly 'forecast' is difficult, but you can expect them to pesky in
Maine during June and into July. Camp high, away from water, preferably in a
breezy place. For instance, instead of Hurd Brook shelter, camp up above on
the Rainbow Ledges. When hiking, you'll walk into areas thick with flies-
when you do just keep walking as the concentrations are often small. When you
find a a fly-free zone, consider cooking and eating right then.
 Use DEET, and tell GA-MEers you meet later the horror stories :O)
TJ

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---