[at-l] Cell phones

I'm leaving for the weekend after this post, so I thought I might as
well throw in a comment about the eternal cell phone discussion before I
leave the office.

Brother Sloetoe mentioned that we could not argue the fact that cell
phones would bring help faster in an emergency that not having one.  I
won't argue that point.

However, having a cell phone gives many hikers the impression that they
can be rescued quickly if they have a cell phone.  Not true.  A hiking
emergency does not happen on the side of the road at the corner of Elm
and Maple, where the ambulance will drive up in a matter of minutes to
pick you up and get you to the hospital before the critical 1 hour has
elapsed in a life threatening accident.  At best someone is going to
have to carry you out, or a helicopter is going to have to show up to
carry you off.  Chances are the helicopter will not have a hoist and
will have to land somewhere and then come get you and carry you to it on
a litter.  Been there, done that.

Granted, you probably will be "rescued" more quickly.  However, if your
accident is life threatening you probably better use your cell phone to
call your family and let them know your funeral wishes.  I know there
are exceptions, but don't take a cell phone with the notion that it is
used the same way in the "wilderness" as it is in any other community
type situation.