[at-l] ursack and jardine

In areas with habituated black bears, bear bagging is close to worthless.
Black bears, having figured things out, climb the anchoring tree and
cut the rope.  Then they eat the food.  Trying to scare off a bear
that isn't afraid of humans isn't a good idea.  In areas with a
lot of people, just making your food more difficult to get than
others is often good enough.  For example, stash your food
10 or so feet up on a rock face.  If your neighbors food is on the
ground, the bear will eat that rather than taking the effort to
do some rock climbing.  Storing food in your tent in areas with
humanized bears isn't wise, but people seem to get away with it.

Chris

Chris Willett
cwillett@math.uiuc.edu
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~cwillett