[at-l] Car Talk

Putting your car on blocks and turning in your tags is not all that
difficult. The idea of blocks (in the old days concrete blocks to hold the
axle off the ground, but now car supports) is to avoid your tires dry
rotting. This also assures that your car is out of service and not using
the roads. You can re-tag the car on return, and would still be liable for
ad valorem or property taxes while you own it.

There are several parts of your car that do not like to be unused. The most
important is the brake system. Your brake fluid tries to get humidity and
moisture into it. If a substantial amount gets in, you create steam instead
of hydraulic pressure. Result: your brakes fail as you drive down the hill
to get your first pizza after returning from your hike. Solution, plan to
have the brakes serviced before you drive it again by replacing the brake
fluid. Other solution is to keep the car driven.

The gas can go "bad" sitting unused in your tank, and can deposit shellac
in your fuel injectors or carburetor as well as coat the spark plugs with
non-sparking gunk. The solution is to run the car at idle until fuel is
empty, run it with a fuel stabilizer in the last tank before you leave or
just arrange to have the car driven.

Then you have the additional concerns of the battery (either disconnect the
ground or drive the car), critters taking residence in the exhaust or
passenger compartments, air pollution and bird droppings eating the paint
and other hazards. Your choices are to have the car driven, arrange for
some hassles of storage and maintenance or sell the car and buy another one
on your return. I think you might find similar advice on www.cartalk.com
with Click and Clack the tappet brothers, often heard on NPR.

Us VW drivers and collector wannabes have to deal with these issues from
time to time.

OrangeBug