[at-l] Thru-hiker's Handbook

I've never met Osama bin Laden, but I have an opinion of him.

Your point is well taken, though. While many on the list and involved in
the AT have limited experience with WF, he does seem to attract a heck of a
lot of opinion. It really is unfortunate for both the trail community and
for him.

I once hosted travellers from Georgia, while it was still a Soviet
republic. One of the guests was wife of a democracy group/party who was
pretty famous and respected. She was also active individually in the
politics of the region. After the fall of the USSR, her husband was a high
elected official killed in an assassination attempt on the current
president and him, with my former guest severely injured.

When I've met other Georgians and mentioned her, there are one of two
reactions - she is either Satin or Mother Mary, nothing in between. There
appears to almost a litmus test regarding how someone reacts to her name
and reputation and how someone is treated within their culture.

That sort of litmus test doesn't do anyone much good. There are those who
react as if WF is an all powerful omniscient authority deserving election
to Godhood. There are others who react as if he is the malevolent scheming
Anti-Earl. This divisiveness is a reason discussions of WF are rarely
encountered and long tolerated. I suspect it is a pretty heavy burden on
WF, and hope he can shoulder that burden or find a way to lighten the load.

OrangeBug