Shiping from AMAZON (follow up to )RE: [at-l] Thru-Hikers Handbook.

I received a gift certificate to Amazon one time, and had a terrible
experience.  They continued to send me merchandise that was not "as
described" on their website... in fact if was older models of electronic
hardware with limited information.  I searched elsewhere on the web for the
specs and then ordered it.  Since theirs was an out-dated model it didn't
work.  I returned it, got a different one, returned it and eventually ran
the gift account down close to zero because they charged me shipping each
time.  After about 6 months of pointing out the errors of their ways, and
pointing out that this was affecting customer satisfaction, I got most of
the money back.  But I also vowed to never even open their web page again.
I can live quite nicely without that frustration.

YMMV

-James T.

Dave Hughes 3019B x2640 <dhughes@cas.org>@mailman.backcountry.net on
03/21/2002 03:15:40 PM

I do alot of business with amazon.com and they usually give very good
service,
but every once in a while they get mixed up. When I ordered my 2000
Thru-hikers
Handbook from them, it took a month before they got it to me. Others were
reporting that they got their copies from amazon.com within days. If you
really are in a panic to get one of the first copies of the 2002 Handbook,
I would take the advice of whoever recommended www.adventuroustraveler.com
since they seem to have the fastest service.
Dave Hughes
Workthington, OH