[at-l] Recipes: Goldfish and tuna

> At 10:54 AM 3/21/2002 -0600, Shane Steinkamp wrote:
> >... If somebody put dog biscuits in a box with cool graphics, a
> >snazzy name, and a fancy slogan, hikers the world over would
> flock to them
> >and declare them a minor miracle.

> What, call it hard tack?
>
> Orangebug

No, no!  You have to get into the full swing of marketing.  'Hard tack' will
not capture the imagination.  We must use terms such as 'NEW' and 'IMPROVED'
while describing (disguising?) them as...HIKER BISCUITS.  We can come up
with groovy slogans like, "The longer you've been on the trail, the better
they taste!", and "Guaranteed not to give you gas."  Then we can find
somebody who is crazy enough to eat nothing but our new and improved hiker
biscuits on a thruhike, which will generate publicity.  Backpacker magazine
will do a write-up declaring them the complete hiker food.  Stoves will
become obsolete as 'biscuit hikers' take over the trails, needing nothing
more than some water and a few bags of hiker biscuits.  Hordes of newbies
will flock to the product, despite the fact that it is over-priced.

Of course, eventually somebody will post on some email list somewhere, "HEY!
These aren't anything but dog biscuits in a fancy package!", at which point
our market will collapse and we will have to go hiking in order to avoid
throngs of angry lynch mobs....

Shane