[at-l] Sense of Wilderness and Town Stops

Hey... if we all felt the same then the world would be a pretty boring
place.  I don't want a cell phone... because I enjoy the not knowing what
lies ahead that each new day brings.  But I don't plan to get upset if
other people don't agree with me.  As far as radios go... I like the
nostalgia created when one leaves the high-fidelity world where there are
stereo watts pumping forth in one's car, office, home, tool shed, and
everywhere you turn.  Out on the trail, the sharing of another's crappy AM
radio can bring much joy.  Ah, the simple things.

I enjoy the balance of meeting people that I just chuckle and shake my head
at (like the thru-hiker carrying the large Coleman lantern and a dozen
replacement mantles) and those that I take notes from, as they seem to have
much better ideas than I do.  Some will shake their head at me... and
others will learn from me... and we all fall at some point on this scale of
things.  Learn when you can.  Teach when you can.  And of course Laugh as
often as possible.  If we all did the same thing then the world would be a
pretty boring place.

Hike and let hike...
-James T.

cc:    AT-L@backcountry.net

Subject:    Re: [at-l] Sense of Wilderness and Town Stops

In a message dated 03/21/02 1:53:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
RoksnRoots@aol.com writes:

> I thought I was talking to honest Trail
> brethren who would admit when they were wrong and acknowledge the precise
> point that was being made and why...

And in a memo to Kahley on the subject, RnR writes:

The radio is not part of the transformation of the Trail from a remote
place
to one of
connected infrastructure. The Cphone is. When a Cphone is used to arrange
shuttles, make remote calls, or call for pizza it is a tool which serves to
reduce the previously existing level of wildness on the AT.

RnR -

You're right and I'm wrong.  <snip>