Re[2]: [at-l] Sense of Wilderness and Town Stops

Bob Cummings wrote:
>"...RnR's vision of MacKaye is one dimensional - and insulting to the man."
>claims Jim &/or...
>
>Perhaps, but RnR's perspective pretty much corresponds with mine. If you
>have evidence to the contrary, let's hear it.

Uh, Bob?  What is it you'd like me to prove?  Up till now RnR's only source
for MacKaye has been the AT Project plan - and he apparently can't
understand it - he misquotes MacKaye every time he talks about him.  Now -
are you telling me you can't understand the plan either?  Or that you agree
with RnR in other ways?  But we already knew that, didn't we?

So far, I've called RnR's bluff -- how many times?  He has yet to come up
with any source that matches his claims for what MacKaye wrote.  When/if he
manages to do that, we'll talk.  Until then, he's blowin' smoke.  He's
palming "his" personal biases off on the list as MacKaye's.

I'll repeat this - and it's one of the two (count 'em - 2) statements I've
made about MacKaye in the last year --- MacKaye was the "Father" of the
Interstate system as well as the AT.  RnR apparently has a problem with
that.  Probably because it would blow his image of the man as a one
dimensional wilderness fanatic.  MacKaye WAS an advocate of wilderness, but
not to the degree that RnR claims for him.  He was also a believer in
"balance" - which is apparently an unknown concept to RnR.  Is it so for you
as well?

As Shane said - as I said last summer - MacKaye's concern was PEOPLE.
WILDERNESS was NOT an end in itself, but the mechanism for his PEOPLE
solutions.  Read the damn Plan.  I said READ it - not "interpret" it.

Walk softly,
Jim