Re[2]: [at-l] Sense of Wilderness and Town Stops

On 20 Mar 2002 at 20:00, Bob C. wrote:

> "...RnR's vision of MacKaye is one dimensional - and insulting to the man."
> claims Jim &/or...
>
>  Perhaps, but RnR's perspective pretty much corresponds with mine. If you have
>  evidence to the contrary, let's hear it.
>
>  Weary

As I recall, MacKaye's vision had almost nothing to do with
thru hiking, and almost nothing to do with the stark notion
of "wilderness" that you and R&R hold so dear.

MacKaye did write very clearly of self-sufficient settlements,
in the woods, connected to one another by a path.  These
settlements were designed specificically for the recreation
of city-folk.  The word recreation appears several times in
MacKaye's writing.  The word "wilderness" hardly appears
at all.

I'd guess that MacKaye had in mind some sort of "antidote"
to city living and to alienated labor, but it was by no means
a return to aboriginal life.

rafe b.
aka terrapin