[at-l] Quitting work, going hiking....

At 12:12 AM 3/20/02 -0500, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
>I have four weeks and four days before I quit work to go hiking.  Oh yes!
>
>And I was wondering how much notice I should give.  I was going to give the
>customary 2 weeks in two weeks, but lately, (due to my friendly demeanor,
>serious work ethic and superior sales skills : ), they've been asking to move
>me up to "big ticket" which happens to be a 75 cent an hour drop in pay from
>$4.25 to $3.50 plus 1 to 3% commission.  ...clip...

What country are you working in?  The Federal minimum wage in the US is
$5.15.  Most employers are subject to that law.

>I don't want to burn any bridges and would like to leave the door open upon
>my return.  Should I just play them along them and tell them no, not
>interested and give them a two week notice in two weeks?  Or be forth coming
>and tell them of my plans tomorrow?  Can they fire me for being honest?

It's your call Sly, but yes, they can fire you for being honest.  They
can't fire you because of your race, creed, religion, etc. (all that
anti-discriminatory stuff) but they can fire you for anything not listed in
the Equal Opportunity laws including being an honest forthright person.  Do
they have a history of firing people for being honest about their
intentions?  If so, don't give them any more notice than you have to.

sAunTerer (who's still working for DOL :( )