[at-l] MP3's, here we go...

Kahley sez... I didn't check out the links that someone posted for the
music downloads for the MP3 (?) so if someone would repost? The idea of
carrying a library of music...in the same space as a sleeve of crackers
is very exciting. Vivaldi by a stream. Zeppelin up a hill. The pure
harmony of the Dixie Chicks. The complete works of Janis....all on
little teeny disc. Yes, very exciting.

Rob will say... Don't get too excited. A player with significant
storage capacity(say, 1000 songs) is still the size of a paperback, and
eats batteries faster than a GPS, or a cell phone with no
reception.(what's everyone glaring at?) My current MP3 jukebox burns a
battery in 4 hours. Which is why it's mainly used for road trips and at
work. Of course, it holds my entire CD collection, as well as that of a
few friends ;) Most larger players use cell phone type batteries, not
AA or AAA's. No way to swap on the trail unless you buy(expensive)
extras. Recharge in town. You can get players that are the size of a
deck of cards, and hold about 2 hours of music. Some have FM tuners as
well, and at this size run on 1 AAA. The only weather-resistant one I
know of holds a max of 30 minutes of tunes.

-Rob, Technoman