From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Lamar Powell
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 7:16 PM
To: dansmith49111@hotmail.com
Cc: AT-L@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] cooking whole grains and legumes

I'll tell about mine but also, here is Chainsaw's address. I guess he can
give more and better detail because he had the most experience:

daveh@psknet.com

Anyway, I went to Kmart and got a cheapy closed cell foam pad in the
camping department. It looks more like something a child would take to
preschool for a rest mat but it was cheap. I cut a rectangular piece that
could be wrapped around my cook pot. The idea is to use contact cement to
glue the ends of the rectangle to form it into a cylinder. The pot must
fit inside the cylinder with very little extra room. Next, I cut out a
circle large enough to cement to one end of the cylinder. Now I have what
looks like a pot made out of foam. This can be slide down over my cook
pot with its lid on. The last step was to cut another circle of foam.
This last circle is the same size as the inside of the cylinder. The idea
here is to make a bottom that is almost air tight, which means as little
heat as possible can get out of the cylinder through cracks. The bottom
circle has foil glued to it with the contact cement. I cut the foil from
an aluminum pan that my wife got at the store. It had heat and eat rolls
in it. Anyway, I cut the foil into a circle that was ever so smaller than
the bottom foam circle. The idea here is that a pot just off the stove
can be set onto the bottom foam without melting the foam.

I have made two of these so far, one for each of my cook pots. Both were
very easy to make. I think the contact cement (Ace Hardware) was about
$2.89 and the Kmart pad was about $6, so I have less than $10 in the
project. I have two pot cozies, one experimental foul up and enough foam
left to make two or three more cozies. Not a bad investment for $10.

I can store my tin can stove, aluminum foil wind screen, pot stand, pot
and cover, pot lifter, all purpose bandana and matches inside the cozy.
Actually everything goes inside the pot, the lid goes on the pot and then
the pot goes inside the cozy making a very compact unit that is about 7
ounces. The pot inside keeps the foam cozy from getting smushed in my
pack.  Hopeful