[at-l] Cell phone connection availability

Please note, Bob, that you misquoted. "Perception"  should have filled in
the spot of "(cell phones do)"...

The perception thing deals with a rigid world view that excludes the
possibility that someone would find a particular tool of technology useful
and desirable - in this case a cell phone. In prior flame wars similar
angst was expressed over guns, umbrellas and ultralight gear. My point was
that technology is commonly used by all hikers, and would be foolish to
avoid such technology. For instance, you use a battery powered Zip stove
rather than a campfire for very good reasons and with very sound results.
So far, Zip stoves haven't resulted in the denuding of AT forests.

Some appear to oppose the very idea that someone might carry a cell phone
in their backpack, or horrors of horrors, actually use it to receive news
of family emergencies or to contact authorities for other emergencies. This
seems a mighty rigid orthodoxy that has little connection to the AT, but
evokes images of a crucifixion on a cell tower.

I suppose if life is so comfortable that a cell phone on the AT is a major
insult, then you might have too much time on your hands. I suppose that if
you have the time to respond to messages, you might afford the courtesy to
quote accurately given that surfeit of time.

OrangeBug