[at-l] Injured dogs - rescue options?

I've recently added a page to my web site about hiking with dogs. You can
check it out at http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/dogs.html

I've got a question though...  I have a friend who has a wonderfully cuddly
puppy who at 6 months old weighs in over 100 pounds.  :-)  My friend is no
big hiker but he does like to go on day hikes here and there and would like
to start bringing his dog in another year or so.  (He has to let him finish
growing a bit more before taking him to hilly terrain.)

He has read my write-up and agrees with what's written there.
Unfortunately, with a dog that is expected to weigh around 150 lbs when
fully grown, there's no possible way my friend could carry him out should
something happen.

So, generally speaking, are there rescue options for dogs like that?  Would
SAR teams consider helping out in a situation should his dog be unable to
hike out himself.  Of course, a dog is more likely to be able to hobble out
on three legs than a human could do on one leg but what would happen if that
wasn't an option and the dog couldn't walk?  Is there any such thing as
rescue insurance to offset costs involved for rescuing canine companions?

Other ideas?  (Yeah, yeah...  get a smaller dog next time  ;-)

Also, is anyone familiar with any doggy first aid classes that might be
available?  Web searches bring up sites that do the same as Rec Cross first
aid - they assume you can drive or be driven to the vet.  I'm thinking that
something geared toward backcountry - maybe something for dog sledders might
be appropriate.  I've found a few other references (books et al) but was
looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

Mara
Stitches, GAME99