[at-l] Philosophy of hiking. (WAS: lots of other threads...)

In a message dated 03/18/02 1:41:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shane@theplacewithnoname.com writes:

> Before I ramble on too far, what is your philosophy of hiking?  What is the
> purpose, for you, of hiking?
>
> To cover miles?  To say you did?  To experience the outdoors?

Shane -

Thanks, I like what I wrote, too.

I guess, as I've stated before (and you folks are probably tired of hearing
it - at least everybody but Red who is, I believe, a kindred spirit), I enjoy
hiking most because it allows to spend time with my Mom, who is no longer
physically present.  I love it because she loved it.  It gives me quiet time
for contemplation in an otherwise decidedly "noisy" life.

My coworkers (most of them anyway) think the idea of my hiking long distances
is a neat idea and so, I guess, I also do it "to say I did it", on their
behalf because most of them would never do it - they exercise vicariously
through my hikes.

And, along the way, I happen to cover miles.....

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---