[at-l] What about "useless" rescues?

In a message dated 03/18/02 12:51:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nealb@midlandstech.com writes:

> One reason I ask this is that I know of people who started useless searches.
> & Because of their "rescue" cost "the people" a lot of money & time --
> especially since most were volunteers.  Further such "rescues" "endanger"
> the search & rescue members.  Also, I came down "sick" just before Hot
> Spring and hiked down a dirt road & then hitch-hiked into town.  Some of
> the
> hikers I had met were getting ready to call for a search since I was behind
> schedule.  It made me feel good that people cared so much.  But it's
> pestered me since then (10 years) and I keep wondering what would have been
> right if I had not made it into town.

One of the reasons that my wife and I have agreed on two days with no contact
on the AT being a reasonable time frame to have somebody start looking for me
(not authorities - local contacts) is because there is no place I have found
on the AT that is more than two days from a road (as long as I'm mobile in
any fashion).  Thus, if the phone doesn't work, I can find a land line to
avoid a search.  If I'm immobile somewhere for two days, I probably need
somebody to come find me IMHO.

I sent Sly a note (I think it was off-list) where I mentioned that they had a
full crew looking for some kid in the Smokies while I was in Georgia because
he didn't clearly explain to the home-front where he was going and when he
would be back.  He was hanging out in Erwin while everybody was looking for
him up in the hills.

Having some scope of a plan with at least general specificity as to actions
to be taken is pretty helpful, me thinks.

Otherwise, I like Shane and Al's answers.

Black&blue

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---