[at-l] hiker caste system

Desert Nomad has the "hiker caste system" as follows:

1. speed hiker
2. purist
3. blue-blazer
4. slackpacking purist
5. slackpacking blue-blazer
6. yellow blazer
7. section hiker

As a "long distance section hiker purist" I hold my rank several notches
above any yellow blazer, and at least one notch above those who are
regular slackpackers.  I don't even consider speed hikers as hikers.
They are marathoners who are just using the trail for their course.

Seriously, consistent year after year hikes of 200-400 miles takes a lot
more effort, skill, and planning than one thru-hike, in my opinion.  The
logistics of getting to and from the trail each year, along with the
resulting expense, makes completing the trail over 6-8 years a
masterpiece of stick-to-it-ivness that rivals the feat of doing it in
one hike.  Also, long distance section hikers have to get in shape every
year, not just once.

Signed,

Phil (1,200 miles and counting over 4 years from Springer to Port
Clinton, never missed a white blaze intentionally, having carried my
full pack all the way) Heffington