Re[2]: [at-l] Re: Cellphone connection availability (was) RE: [at-l] another tak...

"...If the technology exists and we do not impinge on other people's illusion of
wilderness, what's the big deal?" asks Kahley.

 I won't presume to answer for Sly, but your question fails to recognize the
 problem. There is no way that the increasing reliance on cell phones will not
 "impinge on other people's illusion of wilderness."

 The lopsided support for cell phones among most of those who respond to the
 list, tells everyone that if we run into trouble, just wait a moment and
 someone will come along with a cell phone and offer rescue.

The possibility of instant rescue, instant communication, is incompatible with
wilderness.

Those of us who continue to express this know we are fighting a rear guard
action -- the battle has already been lost. That is the American way. If it's
available it will be used. Sadly, it applies to matters far more serious than
cell phones. Our government has just announced proposed new rules for when we
will use nuclear bombs -- words our president can't even pronounce.

But hope springs eternal. Some of us will fight to our last breaths.

 It's like ATVs. The physical damage they do is enormous. But they are available
 and no power will keep them from being used.

 Cell phones? The psychic damage they do to the sense of wildness is enormous.
 But they are available and no power -- except the evolution of humans into
 rational beings -- will keep them from being used.

 Weary